Have too much spinach about to go bad? Here's an idea that your kids will also love!
I can't tell you how many times I've had to throw away large portions of rotten spinach because I didn't use it in time. When I used to live in the states, I would buy the giant bag at Cosco, attempting that this would be the week I start eating healthier. Didn't happen. I would go home, make myself one spinach salad. Perhaps throw some in a smoothie, and that was that. The rest would sit in silence for the next two weeks, staring me down every time I opened the fridge to get something. Now, I do something about it, so I don't waste precious food. My son also loves them. What better way to sneak some healthy into the yummy?
Yummy and Healthy
Protein filled Mozzarella Spinach Fritters
- 12 oz steamed or sauteed Spinach (frozen spinach will do if you don't have some you need to use)
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 c shredded Mozerella Cheese
- 1/2 c oat bran (You can also put whole oats in the blender for a few seconds)
- 1/2 tsp salt (also salt on each side when you cook them)
- 1/2 Red Onion finely chopped
- 2 tbsp Olive or Vegetable oil for frying
Prepare your spinach by washing and then steam or saute. Drain out the excess moisture by pressing the spinach down in a strainer. Add all ingredients together and mix well. Be sure your spinach is cooled down enough to mix with the eggs. You don't want scrambled eggs. Spoon about 1/2 cup mixture into the pan with oil over medium heat and shape into flat burgers. Salt each side. Let cook about 5 minutes per side or until the eggs are cooked through, and there is a golden brown crust. Put on a paper towel to let the excess oil soak out.